Long piece 2. 4.5 pages. This would be presented in a book proposal or query.
Part I -- LEAVING BEHIND VINES
The elaborate stained glass windows threw rainbow light on dark wooden floor of the king’s study. Sapphire eyes stared at the patterns as his mind played over everything that he needed to say. In a few minutes his advisor would be here. There had been suspicious deaths in the stronghold and King Tantin did not like the way it looked. It did not matter how he looked at it everything lead back to his advisor Kaladron Fairbanks. Each person that had died had a unique connection to Kaladron as the bodies stacked up Tantin could no longer deny the fact that his advisor was a prime suspect. A knock came at the door. “Come in.” Tantin called in his velvety voice.
“My lord you requested my presence?” Kaladron said as he entered. The brown haired elf wore a simple outfit of black with a dark green cape about his shoulders.
“Indeed I did. Do come in and take a seat.” Tantin gestured to the chair that opposite him. The king straightened and leaned forward to rest his elbows on the mahogany desk.
“What is it I can do for you my king?” Kaladron’s oily voice grated on Tantin’s nerves more then it normally did.
“I would like to speak with you about the deaths.” Tantin felt a cold sweat break out on his palms. The air had suddenly changed. The light atmosphere of a moment ago was shattered by a sinister air and the king became apprehensive.
“Very well my liege. What is it that I can do to help you catch this murderer?” Kaladron’s eyes sparked. He crossed his legs and leaned back in the chair in a nonaggressive pose.
“Well I looked into each person who has died and it seems…” Tantin took a deep breath. The fact that he had to do this scared him but he knew he had to do this. “That the last time they were all seen was with you.”
“Are you saying that I am the killer?”
“I am merely stating a fact.” Tantin clasped his hands together to keep the fact they were shaking away from the elf opposite him. Kaladron’s eyes seemed to go from their normal chestnut color to black. Tantin tried to pass it off as a trick of the light but when the brunette leaned in close Tantin saw that his eyes had changed colors.
“So you are saying that I am the likely killer? That I had the brains and guts to kill those people then rip them to shreds? Is that what you’re saying that I could do that to another?”
Tantin tried to swallow because his throat felt a little too dry. “I… I was only saying what I had found out. I have not accused you of anything. I wanted your word that you had not killed them.” He said the last four words with force.
“Well…” Kaladron stood up and turned his back to Tantin. If the king had been able to see the wolfish grin on his advisor’s face then he would have know what was coming. “I am afraid that I cannot do that.”
“What?” Tantin stood and placed his hands on the desk. The golden haired king raised an eyebrow in shock as he looked at Kaladron’s back.
“I believe you heard me my liege. I cannot give you my word that I did not kill those people.” Kaladron spun around and mirrored Tantin’s stance.
“So you are saying you killed all those people.”
“Indeed I am.”
Shock coursed through Tantin’s veins. Kaladron had just admitted that he was the killer and here he was alone with the man. “Then I shall have to call the guards in.” Yes I must get the guards in here as soon as possible. Tantin thought as he straightened and made for the door.
“I cannot allow you to do that my lord.” The crooked grin on the advisor’s face made Tantin shiver in fear as he took an unconscious step backwards. Kaladron stalked toward his king with a wickedly curved dagger. Tantin gulped and opened his mouth to yell but his vocal chords would not work and air rushed out of his lungs in a silent scream. “You have something I want and we can make a fair exchange. You can keep your filthy life if you give me The Armlet.”
Icy fear twined up Tantin’s spine as he considered the deal. It seemed that either way Kaladron would get The Armlet of Exyel. Was it worth saving his own life if his country, Exyel, would be thrown into chaos? Yet there was still a chance that he could escape. After all it was only a few running steps to the door then after that… there must be people in the halls. Thoughts and ideas were running through Tantin’s head yet he could not choose a plan to follow through with. All of them kept leading to dead ends; Tantin knew he had to choose the option that would be best for his country instead of himself. “So what is your answer?” Kaladron was right in front of Tantin and it seemed that his body worked all on its own. The king’s fist balled up and slammed into Kaladron’s face.
Bone cracked and blood spurted as Kaladron took a reeling step backwards. It was now or never. The blonde ducked under a clumsily thrown punch and dashed for the door. A dagger thumped into Tantin’s shoulder; the impact spun him sideways and off balance. “Guards!” he roared as his hands connected with the floor. A growl issued from Kaladron’s throat as he rushed the downed king; his booted foot connected with the elf’s stomach and he wretched. Another kick and blood was spat onto the floor as Tantin fell face fist onto the rainbow washed wood.
“You should have just handed it over when you could.” Kaladron purred as the thudding of boots began to permeate the room. “I hate to have to do this to you. After all you had such promise but the Herald of Darkness thanks you.” Thick fingers grasped the king’s arm intending to pull the Armlet of Exyel off.
“Never.” Tantin said through gritted teeth. Pain throbbed in his body and he just wanted to fall into the welcoming arms of unconsciousness. But with his remaining strength he rolled to the side so he could line his left foot up for a kick. The air rushed from Kaladron’s lungs at the impact and as he gasped for his lost breath the door out in the king’s waiting room was opened.
Kaladron slammed his fist into Tantin’s temple making the king’s vision swim. All thoughts of his own safety and life were out of his head as he tried to keep The Armlet on his arm but it slid down with the help of Kaladron. The door to the study banged open and the small detainment of guards rushed in. Kaladron ripped The Armlet off of Tantin’s limp arm and ran over to the window. “My Lord!” the captain said then his eyes slid to Kaladron who was clutching The Armlet to his chest. “Seize him!” the captain fell to his knees by his king’s side.
The last thing Tantin saw before he blacked out was the stained glass window shattering into thousands of pieces. Kaladron let out a cackle as he jumped out into the day light. Despair washed over the king as his eyes slid closed. He had failed Exyel… The Armlet was now in The Herald’s possession. All was lost…
I
Silence swirled on the eddies of warm air as the silver haired woman leaned back from the scrying bowl. An exasperated sigh escaped her lips as she saw King Paris was meeting with his war council planning to attack Pallenor Dar. “Elves are such a dim race. How can Paris and Pallenor continue this frivolous war?” she said in the multi-toned voice of her Dragon heritage. “How can they not see the damage which thirty thousand elsons of war has brought upon their country? Do they just ignore the barren planes of blood tainted dirt? Kings are supposed to put their country’s needs above all else yet every king after Tantin has brought nothing but heartache and ruin to their people.” her fists clenched as she sank into a wing-backed chair in front of the fire. As she seethed the flames leapt at her anger and devoured the logs in the fireplace.
Zayden’Ash knew she should not care so much about what happened to her southern neighbors. But something inside of her drew her to the plight of Exyel. The pointless Thirty Thousand Elson Civil War had devastated the once proud country. Now the dying land lay in the shadow of its former glory as generation after generation was nursed on hate and weaned on death. Sisters lost brothers to a forgotten cause. Wives lost husbands to fruitless battles. Mother’s lost sons never to be found on the bloody plains of combat. Pain had locked its iron grip around the heart of Exyel and only the reuniting of The Armlet of Exyel could ever loosen that grip.
Many times in the past the silver haired queen had tried to intervene and help but each time her plans had been thwarted. Not this time. She would not let her plan fail for she had spent too much time weaving the spells and making the preparations. Everything was falling into place and she refused to let victory slip between her figners.
The queen stood, straightened her green velvet dress and made for the door. Just before she left she turned and waved a hand at the fire that immediately reduced itself to burning embers. The light from the hall torch made her silver hair gleam copper then sapphire as the light caught it just right.
1 comment:
Hi buddy, your blog' s aim is thickheaded and cleansed and i like it. Your blog posts are superb. Satisfy board them coming. Greets!!!
[IMG]http://www.sedonarapidweightloss.com/weightloss-diet/34/b/happy.gif[/IMG]
Post a Comment